Illustrated London News
Herbert Ingram and Mark Lemon, then the editor of Punch founded the Illustrated London News in 1842. The first magazine had only 16 pages yet contained twice as many wood-engravings. It featured amongst other items the war in Afghanistan. Twenty-six thousand copies were sold of the first edition which cost six pence, a huge sum in 1842. The magazine was a weekly publication until 1972 when it became a monthly magazine. Publishing gradually declined to bi-monthly and then quarterly. It ceased publication in 1989 but its archival material is still extant and is controlled by the Illustrated London News Group. Over nearly 150 years of its existence it used the work of a legion of great artists and illustrators. These include Miles Birket Foster, George Cruikshank, Mabel Lucie Attwell, Kate Greenaway, W. Heath Robinson, E. Studdy, Edmund Blampied, Frank Reynolds, Lawson Wood, H. M. Bateman, Bruce Bairnsfather, Fortunino Matania and Louis Wain.