Anglo-French Art Centre
Sometimes referred to as the Anglo-French Art School, it was founded by Alfred Rozelaar-Green who himself had studied at the Académie Julian and Atelier Gromaire in Paris in the years immediately before World War II. He moved to London at outbreak of hostilities and in 1946 established the Centre in St. John's Wood, London. Green set about revolutionising British post-war art education by inviting artists from France and elsewhere to exhibit, teach and lecture. These included such luminaries as André L'hote, Lurçat, Leger, Clavé, Couturier, Germaine Richier, and he also received great support from English artists as visiting lecturers who helped to attract the best of students. These teachers included Francis Bacon, Henry Moore, Julian Treveylan, Victor Pasmore, as well as art critics and museum directors. Many fine exhibitions took place at the centre and as well as the teaching staff invited artists who showed their work included Jankel Adler, Robert Colquhoun, and Robert MacBryde. Sadly due to a lack of funding the Centre closed in 1951 and Green left for Paris eccentrically in a 100 ton sailing barge.