Euston Road School
The School was founded in October 1937 by William Coldstream, Claude Rogers and Victor Pasmore and was set up as a School of Drawing and Painting, in reaction to Surrealism and non-figurative abstract art in which ironically some of its members had briefly experimented in the mid-1930's. It was first established in Fitzroy Street, London, but took its name from the Euston Road where it had relocated to premises at 314/316.
Its teaching concentrated on observation and working from the model and although short-lived, it attracted a number of prominent artists as teachers and students during its brief existence. These included Graham Bell, Rodrigo Moynihan, Anthony Devas, Lawrence Gowing, Elsie Few, Thelma Hulbert, Elinor Bellingham Smith, B.A.R. Carter and Adrian Stokes. The School was closed with the outbreak of war in 1939, but its name has since become synonymous with a specific style of painting that continued to influence the development of British painting during the post-war years, and which has since become associated with the teaching of the Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts and the Slade School.