Primarily formed to further the medium of lithography, the club was established in 1908 and held its first exhibition in 1910. The three founding members were F.E Jackson, Archibald Standish Hartrick and James Kerr-Lawson with Joseph Pennnell and John Copley joining later. Pennel became the Club's first President with Copley acting as Hon. Secretary between the years 1910-1916 and it was here that he met his future wife Ethel Gabain, who was also a founder member. Many European and American artists, such as Bellows, Matisse, Bonnard and Toorop, exhibited with the club during its early years. In 1913 a resolution was passed to admit lay members in order to 'unite more closely collectors, amateurs and artists in artistic lithography'. For an annual subscription of a guinea they were offered a signed proof of a lithograph specially drawn by one of the Artist Members, in addition to all the privileges of membership save the right to vote. The Club existed in this form at least until the mid-1930’s, and in November 1937 the Zwemmer Gallery was chosen as the gallery for the club's attempted revival. It must have been moderately successful as a second show was staged the following year. However by the 1950’s it had become known as the Senefelder Group.
In 2012 the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery held an exhibition entitled 'Artists and Printmakers'. It particularly concentrated on the work of Senefelder artists from the museum's own collection.