Colchester Art Society
The Colchester Art Society was founded in 1946 by a group of artists based in and around Colchester and associated with the Colchester School of Art. Its earliest members included John Nash, Cedric Morris, Henry Collins, Roderic Barrett, Joyce Pallot and Sylvia St. George. Their opening exhibition was staged in Colchester Castle, showing the work of 37 artists. It was selected by a committee of 5, purely on merit, regardless of whether the artist was professional, amateur, celebrated or unknown. All media are accepted including painting, sculpture, works on paper, textiles and ceramics, and it also encourages other art forms. Latterly the Minories has been be venue of choice for the Society's annual exhibitions although other venues have been used. Unusually they allow the borrowing of original works from their acclaimed permanent collection subject of course to certain criteria. By 2010 the Society boasted more than 200 members.